618 Shrader St., San Francisco, CA 94117
San Francisco, California 94117

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Art show

Little Paintings 2 at GRSF
Saturday, June 9, 6:30 pm - 10:00 pm

Giant Robot is proud to present Little Paintings 2 by James Kochalka at GRSF.

Indie cartoonist James Kochalka is well known for having a raw, humorous, and powerful style and prolific pace; he draws one diary strip a day for his Web site, and still manages to create an ever-growing catalog of graphic novels. His range extends from the autobiographical (American Elf) to kid-friendly (Peanutbutter & Jeremy) to serious (The Cute Manifesto) to raunchy (SuperF*ckers) to iconic (Monkey vs. Robot). His comix work has won four Ignatz awards and one Harvey award. He is widely regarded as the inventor of the daily-diary comic strip, and has inspired countless younger artists.

Kochalka has also released several CDs with his band, James Kochalka Superstar. His song "Britney’s Silver Can" was named one of the 100 best songs of 2006 by Rolling Stone, and his song "Hockey Monkey" is being used as the theme song to new Fox television sitcom, The Loop. Opening June 10th.

For Little Paintings 2 (which follows up a February art show at Giant Robot New York), Kochalka is painting 186 acrylic 2" x 2" paintings on 3" x 3" paper. He says that many of the pieces will feature cats, including "realistic portraits of my cat Spandy, cats with their monster friends, monster/cat hybrids, space adventuring cats, and dead cats." Pieces will also feature other cute, fuzzy creatures, as well as toilets, sunsets, robots, and self-portraits. The multitude of pieces will not be framed but are quite suitable for framing.

Kochalka adds, "One thing that I love doing these small paintings is that at $60 they're priced cheap enough that pretty much anyone can afford to buy one. People need real art in their homes."

A reception for the artist will be held from 6:30 to 10:00 on Saturday, June 9. Artist will be in attendance!

Official Website: http://www.gr-sf.com

Added by Giant Robot on May 22, 2007

Comments

waxpancake

I just finished reading all four of his sketchbook diaries. I'd love to go to this, but I think my son's third birthday trumps it. :)

yaylife

186 mini paintings! woah.

waxpancake

I really want one of these.

Giant Robot

waxpancake!
the show will be available shortly after the opening...

check back here:
http://www.gr-sf.com/artshows.php